There are 132 rums from the West Indies distillery in the RumX database.
Located in Bridgetown and adjacent to the Brighton Beach, West Indies’ origins date back to 1893, making it the second oldest yet operational distillery in Barbados. WIRD or the “Blackrock distillery” as it is called by the locals due to its location in the Blackrock suburb, was founded as the “West Indies Rum Refinery” (WIRR) by the brothers Georg and Hermann Stade who immigrated from Germany to Barbados a couple of years earlier. In 1903, however, the distillery went insolvent and was subsequently taken over by local merchants (i.e. mainly its customers for which it produced the rum). It remained - with changing ownership, inlcluding Goddard Enterprises Ltd. more recently - in local hands until 2017, when Maison Ferrand took over the distillery, securing not only a rich stock of Bajan rum and vast production capabilities but also access to Jamaican rum producers due to WIRD’s stake at National Rums of Jamaica Ltd. (fully owning Long Pond Distillers Ltd. and a majority stake in Clarendon Distillers Ltd.).
WIRD currently has four operational stills, two column stills, a batch (or chamber) still and a pot still. The largest column still, a Canadian-made four-column still is mainly used for production of light type rums. The second largest, a John Dore built four-column still, commissioned in 1975, can be used in several configurations and produce rums ranging from very light to a heavy types.
The batch still, which is called the “Vulcan“ is named after former Cincinatti-based coppersmith company Vulcan, basically bridges pot and column distillation techniques. It was build in the late 19th/early 20th century and is the last original in operation of its kind. It was decommissioned for some time and reactivated in the early 2000s. Previously, it has been used mainly to produce the so-called wash which is the first step in the distillation process.
The operational pot still is named “Gregg Farm” after its initial location at the Gregg Farm plantation. It is used for the production of heavier rum types. This still often comes into play for the second distillation step at WIRD’s.
While WIRD has been providing the basis for many “lower-end” rums and rum-based spirits such as Malibu, it has also been producing one of the most iconic rums for rum nerds: The so called “Rockley Style” rum, which is occassionally also referred to “Blackrock Style” or “Rockley Still” rum. Currently there are two acknowledged “Rockley Style” vintages, one from 1986 and one from 2000. Anecdotal evidence suggests that the Gregg Farm and Vulcan still are key to this rum style. The “Rockley Style” is renowned for its smoky and medicinal notes, accompanied by sweeter honey-like notes. Rum Artesanal’s West Indies - Barbados Rum Rockley Style 1986 (RX 7784) was rated second best in the RumX annual review 2021.
The “Rockley Style” rum may, however, not be confused with rum from the ancient Rockley distillery. The Rockley estate was founded in the 18th century and abandoned at the end of the 19th century. While WIRR/WIRD acquired and operated one of Rockley distillery’s pot stills at some time, it was not functional any longer at the time the “Rockley style” rums were produced. Indeed, Don Benn, master distiller at WIRD, recently acknowledged that the “Rockley styles” were not produced to replicate any rum profiles originating from the Rockley still. The reason for this was simply that there was no more rum existing from this still at the time the “Rockley styles” were produced. Hence, “Rockley Style” could rather be consiedered a marketing term without reference to any actual rum from the Rockley distillery.
In 2021, WIRD shipped the disfunctional pot still, which is supposedly “the Rockley still” to the UK for refurbishment. It remains to be seen whether there will be any rum emanating from this still in the near future.
Community author: mto75
Flavour profile of West Indies
With RumX you can record your tasting impressions. The RumX community has discovered the following flavor profile:
We found the following relevant discussions on the RumX Community Forum. Check out what the community has in mind and share your thoughts:
Top rated rums from West Indies
About the distillery
All rums from West Indies
- Maison Ferrand West Indies Plantation Extra Old XO 20th Anniversary, 10 years - 15 years, 40% RX1
- Maison Ferrand West Indies Plantation Grande Réserve, 1 years - 3 years, 40% RX65
- Maison Ferrand West Indies Plantation Barbados 5 Years, 6 years, 40% RX133
- Heinz Eggert GmbH West Indies Rum Artesanal Barbados Rum Rockley Style BBR, 1986, 34 years 1mo, 53,7% RX7784
- Maison Ferrand West Indies Plantation One Time Limited Edition, 2011, 9 years, 51,1% RX7714
- Heinz Eggert GmbH West Indies Rum Artesanal Barbados Rum (Rockley Style), 2000, 21 years, 47,1% RX7785
- Selected Cask Community West Indies Wagemut Special Edition Homebase 2021, 10 years 3mo, 51,5% RX9892
- Maison Ferrand West Indies Plantation Barbados, 2005, 13 years, 42,8% RX1520
- Maison Ferrand West Indies Plantation Barbados XO (The Netherlands), 48% RX5287
- Silver Seal West Indies Barbados BRS, 1986, 33 years, 58,8% RX3896
- Nobilis Rum West Indies No. 3 Rockley BBR, 1986, 34 years, 54,7% RX9395
- West Indies Cockspur VSOR 12 Bajan Crafted, 17 years, 43% RX3296
- Maison Ferrand West Indies Plantation Extreme No. 5, 2007, 14 years, 58% RX12498
- Bristol Classic Rum West Indies Rockley Still, 1986, 26 years, 46% RX5776
- Selected Cask Community West Indies PX Cask N. Kröger Edition 1, 12 years, 38,1% RX387
- Duncan Taylor West Indies Single Cask Rum BRS, 1986, 25 years, 52,7% RX1028
- Cave Guildive West Indies Barbados Rum, 2000, 17 years, 56% RX1865
- 1423 World Class Spirits West Indies S.B.S Barbados PX Cask Finish, 2000, 21 years, 47,1% RX11281
- Maison Ferrand West Indies Plantation Calvados Maturation, 2014, 41,3% RX7627
- Maison Ferrand West Indies Plantation Barbados, 2014, 7 years, 50,1% RX10773
- Rum Nation West Indies Barbados Rum, 2001, 10 years, 40% RX1406
- Maison Ferrand West Indies Plantation Single Cask (Partizan Brewing Cask Finish), 2012, 7 years, 48,2% RX3173
- Bristol Classic Rum West Indies Rockley Still, 1986, 22 years, 46% RX4746
- Maison Ferrand West Indies Plantation Extreme No. 5, 2000, 21 years, 47,8% RX12611
- Cadenhead‘s West Indies BBR, 2000, 11 years, 59,1% RX3490
- West Indies Cockspur Fine Rum 5 Stars, 40% RX2240
- Whiskybroker West Indies, 2000, 17 years, 51,8% RX2526
- West Indies Cockspur XO Masters Select, 43% RX1291
- The Rum Cask West Indies Barbados, 2000, 16 years, 57,6% RX2172
- Hunter Laing West Indies Kill Devil, 2000, 21 years, 51,3% RX11149
- 1423 World Class Spirits West Indies S.B.S Barbados, 2000, 16 years, 54% RX1293
- Maison Ferrand West Indies Plantation Ukraine charity, 2022, 7 years, 51,7% RX12991
- Maison Ferrand West Indies Plantation Old Reserve, 2000, 9 years, 42% RX1599
- Whiskybroker West Indies, 2000, 16 years, 57,6% RX2782
- Maison Ferrand West Indies Plantation Malbec Wine Cask Finish, 2014, 7 years, 49,9% RX10819
- Maison Ferrand West Indies Plantation Barbados Single Cask the Source, 2014, 6 years, 41,3% RX8112
- Liquid Gold West Indies Caribbean Reserve Rockley Still, 1986, 15 years, 46% RX3453
- Duncan Taylor West Indies Single Cask Rum, 2000, 15 years, 52% RX3153
- Cave Guildive West Indies Barbados Rum, 2000, 15 years, 54% RX1245
- The Rum Cask West Indies Barbados, 1999, 17 years, 53,6% RX6125
- Selected Cask Community West Indies PX Cask N. Kröger, 12 years, 43,2% RX1980
- Our Rum & Spirits West Indies, 2000, 14 years, 43% RX1690
- Maison Ferrand West Indies Plantation Barbados 10YO - Stout Beer Cask Finish, 2011, 9 years 10mo, 49% RX11162
- High Spirits Collection West Indies Barbados Rum (Why not Toucan?), 2000, 16 years, 52,9% RX7930
- Fassbind AG West Indies Secret Treasures Old Barbados, 1986, 14 years, 40% RX6229
- Cadenhead‘s West Indies Rockley, 1986, 16 years, 67,7% RX5360
- Bristol Classic Rum West Indies Rockley Still, 1986, 12 years, 46% RX3769
- Samaroli West Indies 1986 Barbados Rum, 1986, 20 years, 45% RX3863
- Samaroli West Indies 1986 Barbados Rum, 1986, 13 years, 57% RX4432
- Maison Ferrand West Indies Plantation Old Reserve, 1991, 11 years, 45% RX2492